In repines to a number of emails about the possible toxicity of raisins for dogs, we asked Hillside Vets for their advice. Here is what they said:
"Dogs are particularly fond of chocolate, but this can prove lethal. In addition, there are now several reports confirming that dogs eating even fairly small quantities of raisins, grapes and sultanas can develop renal failure.
Most dogs love chocolate, but as well as being very fattening,it also contains a naturally occurring substance called theobromine which is poisonous to dogs (but not humans you’ll be relieved to know!). The theobromine content, and hence the toxicity of the chocolate, varies according to the type of chocolate with plain chocolate the most dangerous. So if you must feed your dog chocolate, specially formulated pet chocolate is the safe option!"
For more dog health advice and information read the Hillside Vets newsletters and editorials listed on our Doggy News page.